Artistic recreation of a humanoid robot.

Finally we are there.

And here is the final of our humanoid robot project make over.

Thanks to

Carol Williams-Smith, Mary Hu,

James McMurray, Donna Sweigart,

Megan Raasina,

Emily Iris Wigre,

Jolie Marie Maki, Teresa Fogard,

Jena Hounshell

and Brent Steenma.

The new head and the Titanium armor of Morpheus ”.

 It has been working on this project for a year. Now, we have something working.

New head on progress

Unfortunately, because of we cut and mirrored the 3D head model that we scanned in to our CAD software for symmetrical purpose the plastic head that we got out of the rapid prototyping machine is not fit on the camera adaptor that we made before. So, some adjustment has to be made. We decided to cut the plastic head into to halves in order to fix the adaptor in. Then, we will joint tow halves of the plastic head together again by titanium stripes.

The new Titanium armor has been delivered

 The new titanium armor is finish. It will replace the current aluminum chest. The new armor has two parts: the main chest part and the lower flab part. The main chest part has a “Morpheus logo” on it. There is a pattern of zeros and ones on the chest, which also represents the word “Morpheus” in binary digits. The lower flab part is removable. And, it will be used for decoration purpose only.

Making the new head

 This is how we made the new head. David Grimes and I made a clay model of the head. To make sure that the new head will fit on the camera adaptor that we had already made we put the adaptor inside the clay then we made the model while the adaptor was remained inside the clay. A plastic version of the head was created by a rapid prototyping machine. James McMurray helped us for scanning the clay model into a 3D CAD/CAM software by a 3D laser scanner and making the plastic model.

Here comes the name

Finally, we have got a name of our robot. The final name is “Morpheus ”. Why Morpheus? Let’s here the reasons from my boss Rajesh P.N. Rao:




Given the growing pressure to pick a name, I have been researching names that both fit with our research program on robotic imitation of humans and at the same time, are not too common. It was a tough constraint satisfaction problem but I am glad to report that one name rose to the surface...

Morpheus: From the Greek god of dreams especially good at imitating human forms and actions. The name itself means "he who forms or shapes". (Lab members could use "Mo" for short).

I thought the name was also appropriate given that the robot could be morphed into either the new titanium body or be reverted back to the old Fujitsu one.Of course, there is the connection to the Matrix too (what more could one ask for?).

Hope you like it!


Raj





And here is the updated logo from Jolie:

Project Logos

Jolie Maki has just sent in her logos design for our project and it can be used as our lab logo as well. The lower left logo has the word “Titan” on it. This is the name of the robot that we would like to propose. The first reason that we would like to use the name Titan is because the robot body is making from Titanium. The second reason is the meaning of the word Titan is really good. It means “one that stands out for greatness of achievement”. Jolie also has a Greek version of this translation. And “Ti” could be a nickname for the robot also. However, I really like the logo which has “neural systems group” name on it. What do you think?

A completed copper model of the chest (7/28/2005)

 Carol also brought in a completed copper chest model on the same day. Carol designed and made this beautiful piece of art. She told me that Jolie Maki who is helping us for the graphic design also helped her for making the body outline pattern. Carol plans to make the real Titanium piece by using hydraulic press on an ABS plastic mold that will be produced by the rapid prototyping machine in Prof. Mary Hu’s workshop in order to get a very accurate and uniform shape of the part.

The Titanium camera adaptors (7/28/2005)

 Carol brought in the Titanium camera adaptor that Emily made. It is a beautiful well-made yet light weight Titanium cameras adaptor! I tested it with our FireWire cameras. We can attach the cameras into this adaptor without a problem. I also attached this adaptor with the robot. I found no problem with the attaching this adaptor with the robot neck with the original screws. All of the holes are aligned. However, there is on place that has to be trimmed off a little bit, because it obstructs the tilting movement of the robot’s neck. I marked the place that should be trimmed off with the black ink as shown in the lower right figure.